Follow our gluten free lemon drizzle cake recipe and make fantastic tasting gluten free lemon cake that zings with lemon flavour. So tasty you would not know it was gluten free.
This recipe will make one 8” round cake tin or two loaf cakes. It also makes lovely individual cakes, as shown in the photograph.
For the cake
300g sunflower spread
300g caster sugar
300g gluten free self raising flour (for example Dove) – sieved.
For the drizzle topping
4 Lemons - rind and juice
200g caster sugar
200ml cold water
Ideally the drizzle topping should be ready at the same time the cake(s) come out of the oven so you can add the drizzle when they are still hot.
1. Pre heat oven 350⁰F, 180⁰C (160⁰C fan oven).
2. Line cake tin(s) with baking parchment or grease bottom and sides of cake tin with extra sunflower spread.
3. Grate 4 lemons and put zest aside.
4. Squeeze juice from the 4 lemons and put in a saucepan, bring to the boil and boil vigorously until reduced significantly in quantity (to approx 1-2 tablespoons). Put aside to cool.
5. Cream sugar and sunflower spread.
6. Add half the flour and 3 of the eggs into the creamed mixture and mix until blended.
7. Add the remainder of the flour, the lemon rind and the eggs. Mix, scraping sides of bowl to ensure all ingredients are well blended.
9. Gently mix in the cooled lemon juice.
10. Pour mixture into tin and place in the oven.
11. Bake for 50-60 minutes, test cake with a cake tester. The cake is ready when the tester comes out clean. It may need more time since the cooking time can vary for different ovens.
12. Put all ingredients for the drizzle topping in a pan over a low heat.
13. Dissolve the sugar, stirring frequently and watching to make sure it does not overheat.
14. Once the sugar has dissolved bring to the boil and simmer vigorously until it has reduced by half in quantity and has a syrupy consistency.
Immediately the cake comes out of the oven, insert a knife gently into the cake a number of times. Then use a spoon to pour the drizzle across the surface of the cake. Leave to cool before removing from the tin.
This cake is suitable for freezing.
Enjoy a slice with your morning coffee or afternoon tea.
Heat slices in the microwave and serve as a dessert with cream or ice cream.
I'm Janne. I create recipes and provide tips for making delicious tasting food that just happens to be gluten free.
Whether you are living gluten free full-time, trying it out or occasionally catering for friends and family.
Never miss a recipe!
Subscribe to my FREE Newsletter!