This gluten free roasted chicken with artichokes lemon and thyme recipe makes a wonderfully sophisticated meal. You roast the chicken with lemons, onions, garlic and olives, mixed with thyme and sage.
The mix of flavours and textures makes this gluten free chicken a real treat. Serve with roast potatoes or rice. It also works well served with baked sweet potato.
We used tinned artichokes which are easier but we have also provided instructions for using fresh artichokes.
This recipe comes from Steve Parle writing in the Food and Drink section of the UK’s Weekend Telegraph. We love scouring the weekend papers for recipe ideas. They are a fantastic source of recipes which you can either use straight off or can be adapted to be gluten free.
Add this gluten free roasted chicken with artichokes lemon and thyme recipe to your gluten-free recipes ideal for dinner parties and Sunday lunch.
When making gluten-free recipes such as this gluten free roasted chicken with artichokes lemon and thyme recipe following a few simple rules will ensure your gluten free chicken stays gluten free, we have some easy to follow tips on our Avoiding Gluten page.
This quantity makes four servings of roasted chicken with artichokes lemon and thyme.
8 tinned artichokes halves or 4 fresh artichokes
2 lemons, halved
2 onions, thickly sliced into rings
1 whole head of garlic, unpeeled, halved horizontally
½ bunch lemon or normal thyme
½ bunch sage leaves
2 handfuls of black olives, destined
4 large chicken breasts with skin
10 fl oz (300ml) white wine
Handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400oF, 200oC, gas mark 6.
2. If using fresh artichokes, prepare them first. Have a bowl of water ready with half a lemon squeezed into it. Remove the tough outer leaves of the artichokes, then slice away the top third and lightly peel the artichoke stem. Slice in half lengthways before scooping out the hairy core. Place them in the acidulated water until ready to use. Or you could just use tinned artichokes like we did!
3. Spread out the onions in a large roasting tin, then dot the garlic and lemon halves around. Scatter the thyme sprigs, sage and olives over the top.
4. Season the chicken breasts on both sides, then place them, skin side up, on the onions.
5. If using fresh artichokes, distribute them around the chicken, tucking some underneath. Season them a little. If using tinned artichokes you add these later (step 7).
6. Drizzle the chicken and fresh artichokes generously with olive oil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the roasting tin from the oven briefly and pour over the white wine and add the tinned artichokes (if using them). Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
8. When the skin is golden and crisp and the juices run clear, remove from the oven. Cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
9. Remove the chicken from the roasting tin and slice up roughly, then return to the roasting tin to serve with all the other ingredients and the cooking juices. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Recipes and tips for making delicious tasting food that just happens to be gluten free.
Whether you are living gluten free full-time, trying out it out or occasionally catering for friends and family.
FREE How2bglutenfree Newsletter!